Wednesday, January 20, 2010

OUCH!!!

Gavin has been having little trouble with his eyes lately. It started out one day when he poked his left eye with his finger and it watered for hours. The next day both of his eyes were watering and red. The next day, his right eyelid had a sty on it and his left eye was still looking pretty red and swolen. It almost looked like he had a black eye. My friend told me that a sty can be caused by an allergic reaction to something so I assumed that he was allergic to the puppy so we kept him away from it for a few days and his eyes cleared up pretty well. He complained about his left eye hurting a bit then after a few days he started being really sensitive to the light. He wanted all of the lights off all of the time. We ate dinner in the dark a couple times! He knew exactly what the problem was... He was allergic to Avery! Problem solved! Anyway, last night it was really bothering him and he was rubbing his eye so much that it swelled up so today I took him to the eye doctor. What we found out was that he had a small piece of black metal right in the middle of his cornea. I can't believe he's been walking around like that for 2 weeks! I feel horrible! When it started out, he was having problems with both eyes so I never even thought it could be something like that. I have no idea where it came from! They had to numb his eye and remove it. The doctor was so nervous because of the location of the metal and the fact that Gavin is a 4 year old boy and 4 year olds do not always cooperate so I called Dallas thinking it was going to be a nightmare to get him to hold still. The doctor said that a lot of times with kids that age, they hve to put them under anasthesia to do procedures like this becuse they wont hold their eyes still but Gavin did great! He listened and did exactly what the doctor asked him to do so they were able to get it out pretty quickly! He is pretty sore tonight but they said it should heal very quickly so by morning he should be feeling better. The doctor felt so bad about what he had to do to Gavin and he was so impressed with how well he did that he gave him this M&M candy dispenser as a prize. Gavin was so excited and has been carrying it around with him all night. I hope his eye gets feeling better quickly and I hope this is something we don't ever have to do again!

4 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Poor kid! I wouldn't have thought it was something like that either. Glad you figured it out!

Rindi said...

That is so scary! I'm glad he's ok.

Wright Family said...

Oh man I feel so bad for him... Glad he is a tough boy!!

Lisa Summers & Fam said...

My husband had the very same problem about 15 years ago. It has caused a cataract so his pupil is funny looking. I sure hope he is doing okay!!!