Tuesday, August 18, 2009

What's a mom to do??

I love being a mom! I love my kids! I love the joy that they bring into our home. I love the sounds of laughter, I love the funny things that the kids come up with, I love it all.. Well, almost all... Lately our 4 year old angel has been going through some sort of power struggle with Dallas and I. We can't get him to do anything. We ask him to do something, and he will flat out tell us "no!" The biggest battle has been getting him to clean his room. It's not a new thing. My kids have always had to clean their own rooms and they do it every day. Lately however, Gavin has decided that he doesn't have to do it if he doesn't want to. Basically, he's decided that he doesn't have to do ANYTHING that he doesn't want to do. I will ask him to go clean it up and he will just go lay on his bed. The other day he was in there "not cleaning" and I told him that every toy that wasn't put away was going in the garbage. I gave him and hour then went in and filled 2 garbage bags with toys. He didn't even care.

Probably for the past 3 weeks, we have had the same battle every day. Today I asked him to pick up his toys and he refused, so I told him to go in his room and said that he can't come out till it's done. He was in there for a couple hours just playing, reading books, and laying on his bed. He didn't pick up even one thing so I set the timer for 30 minutes and told him that if his room isn't clean when the timer goes off, I was taking EVERY SINGLE toy in his room away. It wasn't even very messy. I could have had it done in 2 minutes. I thought he would go right in and clean it up, but he didn't. The timer went off, and he hadn't done anything. So, "What's a mom to do"?? I told him I would take the toys, so, I took the toys! I felt horrible but I have been so frustrated with him and nothing seems to work. Dallas and I bagged up every single toy in his room and locked them up in the basement. Gavin was really upset for about 10 minutes, then he got over it and now doesn't even seem to care. I think it's going to be a while before he gets any of them back. I don't know what to do with him!! He can be such a sweetheart, but he is so stubborn!! I am not one to spank or anything like that but nothing I have tried has worked with him. It might be time for some "Creative Parenting". I don't like being onry with him. I want to be positive, but I also need him to learn that he has to listen. HOW DO I DO THAT?? I'm sure I'm not the only one who has dealt with this kind of thing. I need suggestions! My kids are growing like weeds! They grow up so fast, I don't want to waste time fighting with them or being mad at them. I want to enjoy every minute that I have with them but It's my job to teach them. They are all so different! What works for one, may not work for the next. So far, I just haven't found what works for my little Gavin. I sure do love the stubborn little thing though!

7 comments:

Dave and Melissa Geddes said...

Just yesterday, I was talking to my sister Jamie on the phone and she said, "I hate when my kids are at the four-year-old- stage! They are such pills!" She's having troubles with hers too. This is just a phase and he will grow out of it. Sounds like you are doing the right things though. I read the book "love and Logic for kids" and really agreed with it. Parenting van be so hard. Good luck!

Shane and Beth said...

I took a love and logic class at the MVE and would HIGHLY recommend it, I can let you know when they do it again, I think they do one every year. I also think you are smart to stick to your guns. In the class they recommend giving your child a choice about everything. EX- either you can clean your room or I can do it and will take your stuff to the basement-then let him make his choice. EX-you can eat dinner nicely with the family or wait until everyone is finished and then you can have your turn (while you guys are doing somthing fun like playing a game or something)....then they think they are somewhat in control and after a while they will start to choose the things that let them enjoy the fun too. Every kid is different though...good luck!!

Clayton & Kim said...

How about making it a game or a race with him. If you make it "fun" sometimes that works. When Kyle and Jessi was little I used to put chores in a hat and let them draw. Sometimes it was things like Make Kyles Bed or Pick up Jessi's Barbies or Sort Mom's laundry. They always thought that was fun, especially when someone else was cleaning up their mess! Just some things that worked for awhile with my kids.

Marble Quarry said...

I am terrified to get to the spot where you are now. I think it is just around the bend with Rowdy. But one thing I do know for sure...Joni you are an AMAZING mom! I can tell just by reading your blog how lucky your kids are to have you!

Staci Scott said...

WELCOME to my world. I have a little boy like that, only it hasn't been just a 4 year old stage, it has lasted about 3 years! We have tried every game and trick we can think of - and it doesn't work on a certaqin child. Right after Christmas we took all of his new toys away (for 2 months) and he didn't EVER care! He just said, "Oh well, when it's Christmas again, I'll get some more new toys." AHH! I guess that's when we call Santa and tell him not to come to our house. It is so frustrating! I know, I deal with it on a daily basis and have for several years. My certain child will NEVER pick up, and will NEVER follow simple requests. I hope the games work for you...

jonisill said...

That is too funny! That is exctly what Gavin said when I took his toys away!! He said "I don't care, Santa Claus will bring me more toys for Christmas". (The sad thing is that he knows he's right). Santa always brings too many toys I think.

Coby and KaeDawn said...

Oh man..I am not looking forward to that stage! I hope you can find something that works!