Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Fifth disease




Saturday morning when Kenzie woke up, we noticed that she had rashes on both of her cheeks. I spent the whole weekend trying to figure out where it came from. They don't itch or hurt at all. I kept asking her if she had put anything like lotion or make-up on her face and she said no. I started putting cortizone kids cream on it, but it didn't help. Monday morning, I noticed that it had spread to her arms, so I kept her home from school and took her to the doctor. As you can see in the pictures, it is a very mild rash. It doesn't bother her at all. The doctor diagnosed her with fifth disease. He said it's pretty common, it's caused by a virus, and once they get it, they will never get it again. He said it is harmless to everyone, except pregnant women. If you get it when you are pregnant, it can cause problems with the baby. (the chances of it are very slim though) So, he told me to call the school to see what their policy is, that they may want to keep her home for a few days. I read about it on the internet and every article that I read, said that once the rash is visible, they are no longer contagious. I called the school nurse, and she told me that it has been going around the school, and because two of their staff members are pregnant, they are being extra cautous. I don't blame them at all for that but I think they are going a little too extreme. They told me that I had to keep her home all of this week and possibly next week too. Keep in mind that she is already way past the contagious stage. I asked, If the rash is completely gone, can I send her back? And the answer was no. She said they will let me know on friday whether she can go back next week. They are obviously taking it pretty seriously- The funny thing is, You would think, if it's been going around, and they're trying to stop it, that they would send a note home to the parents explaining what it is and what to watch for because the doctor even said that most kids get such a mild case, that they don't even know they've had it. I can understand being cautous, but you would think that once the rash is completely gone, they should be able to go back to school.So basically, she was going to school through the entire contagious stage, and now that there's no chance of passing it on, they are making her stay home for 2 weeks. Kinda pointless, isn't it? Anyway, Mackenzie is getting a nice LONG break from school.

Gavin is the funniest kid, he is always saying things that make us laugh. I need to remember to write them down. The other day, he fell out of his bed and hit his cheek on something that gave him a pretty good bruise. You can sort of see it here. I should have taken a picture sooner. Anyway, he thought the bruise was pretty cool. Sunday, I had decided that Avery and Mackenzie should stay home from church, so I told Gavin "I guess it's just going to be you and me." His response was "I can't go to church, I have a bruise."
We were explaining to mackenzie that she can't go to school because if someone whose pregnant gets what she has, it could make them sick. Gavin was listening and said "miss kerry has a baby in her tummy and she didn't get my bruise."
I probably shouldn't put this one on here but the other night, Dallas wanted to rent movies and get a milkshake, so they sent me to get them and when I walked in the door, Gavin looked up at me and said "What took you so damn long?" I tried not to laugh, but it was too funny because he has never said anything like that before. We did have a long talk with him and I don't think he will be saying that word again.
Last night, when Mackenzie was saying the prayer at dinner, she was about half way through, when Gavin whispered "Hurry Kenzie, I'm hungry!"

8 comments:

Brooke said...

My friends little girl got fifths (she lives here) and the school wouldn't let her come for three weeks! So ridiculous. They really aren't contagious after they get the rash. I know it is scary to pregnant women, but it's all those kids who are walking around without the rash who are contagious! Sorry. Darn the luck! Funny stories about Gavin.

Kristina P. said...

Wow, I've never even heard of this! I guess you have to be pretty cautious!

Rindi said...

Well I would blame Jaxon for Gavin's potty mouth, but they haven't been together for a while. Jaxon is our little potty mouth.

Shane and Beth said...

We had to rule out fifth's disease with Kaylee (I wish that was all that was wrong with her:) My mom told me that it had been going around the school and that the kids were having to stay gone for quite a while. My thought is...why don't they have the pregnant teachers stay out of school until it gets under control? Who knows why some rules are the way they are. Did you take her to Dr. Rose? I know that you guys go to him too. I LOVE that man, he is the BEST!!! I just wish that we lived closer to him sometimes...like lately:)!

Christena said...

That's funny! My nephews just had that and the school even made my sister stay home for a week and she works there and didn't have it. They are definitely being extra cautious.

Wright Family said...

Thats funny about Gavin he probably heard his DAD?? I know Buddy picks up things way easy too.

Kylei is home this whole week from school she has had a fever since saturday nothing else just a fever. we have taken her to the doctor 2 times and they cant find anything wrong. So she will stay home from school tomorrow and they dont have school on friday.

Marsha said...

Tell Mackenzie that we notice she is gone at school and that we miss her a bunch!
:)Mrs. Brady


FYI the kid in my class with 5th got to come back after one week

The Johnson's said...

I'm so glad I finally got a chance to catch up on everyone's blog! That stinks about Kenzie's rash/school issue. You are such a good mom! The duck tape thing was such a good idea! And I LOVE your chore chart! I'm totally doing that for Chance when he's older. He kinda has something like that but it's more like his daily schedule. Avery is such a doll, it's so fun having babies the same age cuz I totally know what your going through. :)